Check List for Improving Concentration:
1. Be honest with the speaker - do not fake attention.
2. Take measures to reduce stress/anxiety
3. Self question in order to be more attentive.
4. Deal effectively with external distractions.
5. Deal effectively with internal distractions.
6. Schedule a time each day to deal with concerns and daydream.
7. Develop a desire to learn.
8. Listen with intent to ask the most penetrating question you can devise.
9. Listen with intent to share the message (and then if appropriate, do share the message).
10. In a group, at a public message, listen as though the speaker were speaking directly to you.
Adapted from Wolvin & Coakley, Listening, 2nd ed., Wm C. Brown Publishers, Dubuque, Iowa, 1988.
Guest book / Student Bulletin / Home Page / Hot list / About Alisa Shubb /
Copyright Alisa M. Shubb, 1999